The First-Generation Living Learning Community
The First-Generation Living Learning Community provides an inclusive living environment for new Longhorns, who identify as first-generation college students.
This community is designed to build a support system among first-generation students, in addition to celebrating each student’s background and successes. It assists in bridging the “two worlds” of school life and home while increasing the visibility of first-generation college students on the UT Austin campus.
Living Learning Community
The First-Generation Living Learning Community is a home for students who identify as a first-generation college students, meaning that neither of the students’ parent or guardian has a four-year degree or higher from a college or university. The space is also reserved for new, first-time-in-college students.
All first-generation students are encouraged to apply, given the wide range of diversity and educational backgrounds that each student brings to the community. Diverse experiences can enrich discussions, learning, and aid in preparing future leaders for a globally diverse workforce.
Students part of the First-Generation Living Learning Community will participate with the following:
- Live in the Jester West Residence Hall with the rest of the students in the First-Generation LLC, to create peer connections and build community.
- Attend bi-weekly meetings and additional programming arranged by New Student Services facilitator.
- Meetings focus on student strengths, grit & resiliency, academic success strategies, health & wellness, etc.
- Match with a UT Austin faculty/staff mentor who also identify as a first-generation college student.
- Engage in cultural experiences, service learning activities, and exclusive presentations by guest speakers.
The First-Generation Living Learning Community will be located in Jester West Residence Hall. You may find the range of features and review amenities by visiting the Jester West Residence Hall webpage.
Apply for the UT Housing Application. When you receive you Housing Contract, you may apply for the First-Generation Living Learning Community through the Contract. Application proceess will close April 25, 2020. Space is limited, so you are encouraged to complete both applications as early as possible.