Travel and Housing

Once you’ve received confirmation of your orientation registration, you can begin to make travel plans. 

Orientation activities for most students begin with check-in early in the morning on the first day of your session. This schedule varies for those attending the August Session, Spring Orientation, and Summer School Orientation. 



Transfer Orientation and August Orientation

Parking for students and families attending on campus orientation is serviced by UT Austin’s Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) department. You will need to select your parking option prior to your scheduled orientation session. Make sure to thoroughly review the parking webpages for important information about traveling to campus, construction updates and other parking information. To review rates and select your parking option for orientation please visit

Check to make sure you are purchasing parking for the correction session (i.e. Transfer Orientation or August Orientation). You can contact PTS with questions at or (512)471-7275 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.). For a faster response time, you are encouraged to submit your inquiries via e-mail.

Parking for Spring Orientation and Summer School Orientation is available at the closest on-campus garage at the garage's posted hourly rate.



If applicable, arrange for transportation between the airport/bus terminal and campus. Capital Metro offers a bus route (No. 100) that shuttles between Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and a stop on campus at San Jacinto Blvd. and 21st Street. New Student Services does not arrange for transportation to campus for orientation.

In addition to parking in one of the UT Austin parking garages, the UT Austin Visitor Center offers resource information about the different ways you can travel to and around campus.



Staying in on-campus housing is optional for transfer students attending Transfer Orientation (June/July sessions only). The additional fee to stay on campus is $48, which includes one night of lodging and a Conference Meal Card worth $17.05. Housing space for transfer students is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Staying on campus during orientation makes it easier for you to participate in all orientation activities, many of which are early in the morning or late at night.

You will reserve and pay for housing when you register for orientation. If you do not reserve on-campus housing in advance, you may be able to pay in person for housing when you check in, provided there is space available. If you reserve on-campus housing in advance and decide not to stay in the residence hall during your session, you will not receive a refund. If you stay on campus you will need to formally check out at the end of your session. If you do not stay on campus you do not need to check out.

On-campus housing is not provided for students attending Spring, Summer School or August Orientation.

Early Move-In

Students attending Transfer Orientation have the option to arrive early and move into Jester West residence hall the night prior to the start of their orientation session for an additional fee. This option is intended to support students who are traveling to Austin from great distances. There is limited availability and registration is on a first-come, first served basis. To register and lear more, students may visit this page.

Parents and Families

On-campus housing is not provided for parents and family members during orientation sessions. They will need to make their own arrangements. A list of hotels in the area is available on the Family Orientation website.

Your family should make hotel arrangements immediately after you register for your orientation session. If your family waits to reserve a hotel they may not be able to find one with vacancies, which may force you to switch your session date.


Students with Disabilities

If you need housing accommodations due to a disability, you will indicate that when you register for your session. After you register for your session, you must contact Services for Students with Disabilities to submit the appropriate documentation and arrange for accommodations. Learn more about how to arrange accommodations.