What to Expect
Even though UT Austin is a big place, with over 50,000 students, every new Longhorn who attends orientation spends dedicated time with an academic advisor. We know registering for classes is a big deal, and we want you to get the attention you need to make your first experience at UT Austin a positive one. Here’s what else you can expect when you register for classes at orientation:
- During orientation you’ll attend your College Meeting, where you’ll learn more about college requirements and expectations, degree plans and how to use the registration system. You will also attend “Longhorns to the Core,” a session that will explain the core curriculum requirements.
- You will also have a meeting with an academic advisor who will go over the course schedule with you, talk about your degree plan and help you map out a sample schedule of classes.
- On the last day of orientation, you will register for classes. There will be advisors and other UT staff available to assist you with any questions or issues that arise.
We want you to have a successful class registration experience at orientation, but if you need to make changes to your schedule after orientation you can do so during the add/drop period. You can check your Registration Information Sheet to view the times when you’ll have access to the registration system.
How to Prepare
Your main focus should be on preparing for your orientation sessions: view the pre-orientation videos (if required) and review the pre-orientation checklist. However, if you’re feeling anxious about registering for classes, here are a few things you can do before you come to orientation:
- Make sure you send in your most recent transcript if you haven’t done so already.
- Estimate your progress toward your degree using the Interactive Degree Audit (IDA) 2.0 tool. You will be able to discuss your audit results during your meeting with an academic advisor at orientation.
- Browse your college’s website and look at degree plans.
- View course requirements for the core curriculum.
- Check your Registration Information Sheet to make sure you don’t have any bars. (Note: Your advising bar will be cleared at orientation. Your medical bar will be cleared once you have submitted the appropriate documentation. If you have an "I" bar you are classified as an international student and must satisfy additional requirements.)
Tips for Success
Remember these three things to have a successful class registration:
- Flexibility is key. Don’t expect that you’re going to get your perfect schedule (there is no such thing). Be flexible with class days and times—many great classes meet on Friday and/or at 8 a.m. Being open about professors will also help you maximize your options for courses.
- “Want” is different than “need.” You may not be able to register for every class that you want, but you will get the classes you need to stay on track for graduation. Make sure you identify back-up courses that you can register for if the classes you want most are full.
- Help is there for you. UT Austin is committed to making sure you can get the classes you need to graduate on time. Your advisors and Orientation Advisors are especially great resources you can turn to if you have questions about any aspect of registration. Don’t be afraid to ask for help!
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I still be able to get the classes I want if I attend a later orientation session?
In some classes, seats will be reserved so that students in each orientation session have a chance to register for those classes. No matter which session you attend, there will be classes you can register for that will fulfill your core requirements and keep you on track for graduation. But don’t expect that you’re going to get your perfect schedule (there is no such thing). You should expect to be flexible with class days and times—many great classes meet on Friday and/or at 8 a.m. Being open about professors will also help you maximize your options for courses.
When will I be able to register for classes?
It depends on the session you attend, but usually you register for classes on the last day of orientation.
If you are attending a June/July session, you will register on the last day of orientation and you will have access to the registration system until midnight that day. You won't be able to make changes to your schedule until the add/drop period in August.
You can check your Registration Information Sheet to view your access times.
After I have attended an orientation session, when can I make changes to my class schedule?
You can make changes to your schedule during the official add/drop period. You can check your Registration Information Sheet to see when you can add and drop classes.